It’s no secret that Orlando is an exciting place to be during the July 4th festivities! While you’re out having fun, your pet may be home feeling stressed or anxious. We want to make sure that all members of your family enjoy the festivities, and with some planning, your pet will have a stress-free night.
The team at Williamsburg Veterinary Clinic focuses heavily on your pet’s mental well-being, and even offers behavioral counseling! Fear is the number one cause of anxiety and stress in animals. We can work together to manage your pet’s fear, and help you to keep your relationship with your pet a positive one.
A little prep work for the July 4th excitement can do a long way to making sure your pet has a relaxing evening. We have some tips for you that we think can help:
- Speak with a member of our team about anti-anxiety medication. These medications can really help with pets who exhibit nervous behaviors like shaking, destructive behavior, decreased appetite, incontinence, and excessive salivation.
- Create a safe room for your pet! Finding a nice, quiet, comfortable place for your pet away from the noises is ideal. Even better – be sure to bring their favorite toys and bedding into the room so that they are comfortable in their surroundings with their favorite things. Playing music can really help, too – simply search for “relaxing music for dogs” and you’ll find plenty of options!
- There are other products that you can try out!
- Naturally occurring and calming pheromones (Adaptil for dogs and Feliway for cats) that can be plugged into your wall in the form of a diffuser or sprayed
- Security wraps like the Thundershirt, Storm Defender, and Anxiety Wrap
- Nutritional supplements and special diets meant to reduce anxiety, promote relaxation, and maintain emotional balance (ask us what we recommend!)
If you have any other questions, please let us know! For now, this is a good place to start in providing a stress-free evening for your pet.